- Category: Drivers & Installation
- Last Updated: 04 October 2017
- Hits: 85
Some users may encounter this error when updating their drivers or Killer Control Center, or when uninstalling the Killer Control Center.
Even if you are in the process of updating the Killer Control Center, the issue is that the installer is unable to find this file in order to uninstall it, which is a necssary step for installing the latest suite.
The problem is that the file is either not present, or is not correctly flagged in the registry. This is a bug that was introduced in a few versions of the suite when it was present on your machine during a major Windows feature update, or an upgrade to Windows 10 from another version.
This issue can be resolved by following these steps:
- Download the latest Killer Control Center and keep it somewhere handy, to install when you're finished uninstalling the old suite - http://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads/item/killer-control-center-x64
- Download Microsoft's tool for fixing problems that block programs from being installed or removed - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed
- Once you have both of those things downloaded, uninstall all Killer products from your Apps and Features menu, which you can access by right-clicking Start.
You may encounter that same error - Error 2753. The File 'xtendsoftapservice.exe' is Not Marked for Installation - and that is fine. When you do, skip that application, and uninstall any other applications from "Killer" including "Killer Drivers."
Now run the tool from Microsoft.
- For the first menu, you will simply click Next.
- Then after a moment of "Detecting Problems", it will ask if you are having a problem installing or uninstalling a program. Even if you are trying to update or install the Killer Control Center, the actual problem is happening when the installer attempts to uninstall the old suite, so you will choose Uninstalling.
- At the next prompt, the program will ask you to choose from a list of programs. Find the Killer-related program in the list. It may not be the same as the one in this screenshot, but choose whichever Killer suite the program finds, and then click the Next button.
- The tool will then proceed to erase the parts of the Killer suite that the installer was unable to remove from the registry. If the program is not listed, you have the option of choosing "Not Listed", and the tool may still find the pieces in the registry that need to be removed. However, it is hard to duplicate that particular scenario, so providing a screenshot is not possible, but it is fairly self-explanatory.
- Once the tool has finished doing its work, you will want to restart your machine once more, and then install the latest Killer Control Center, which you downloaded previously.
- If you have any further questions, feel free to contact support at the link below!